Where they started: Drew and Chad ran separate businesses before coming together to create the dynamic Shade Tree Films duo. In fact, Chad moved to Southern California from Utah because Drew insisted they start a business together (thanks Drew!).
Where they were: The Shade Tree boys were slammed and were taking wedding after wedding after wedding. Like most business owners, they were happy about that until they looked back on their crazy year of wedding madness and realized they had made the one thing they were passionate about into a formula.
Problem with where they were: They were so busy churning and burning wedding videos that they didn’t have time to find the real stories. On top of that, the clients seemed to be reflecting this formulaic way of capturing the moment instead of giving the guys space to be creative.
- Tell compelling stories.
- Attract clients who value what we do and let us run with it.
- Have more time to for our families and for the stories to marinate.
- Educate filmmakers on how to raise the industry standard.
How we got them there: These guys had a lot of content. They were speaking to filmmakers, brides and business owners all from the same platform. We wanted to simplify the content, make it easy to navigate and get straight to the heart of why these guys are the right dudes for the job. We started by giving them one landing page with three different options: weddings, businesses, filmmakers. From there, we broke down the content on each page to a few key categories where people could find the information they needed quickly. We also set them up with an editorial calendar for the blogs which identified days they would blog and what the topic that day would be. This made it easier for them to be consistent with their communication efforts without stressing.
Their new look: The most important thing to us was making sure the look represented who Drew and Chad are. They’re fun, quirky and super nice guys and we wanted to attract people who could appreciate that. We gave each section of their website a different feel:
- For the brides: We wanted it to feel fun and organic. We used sketches and interactive images of the guys to give it a light-hearted vibe.
- For the filmmakers: We wanted them to feel like this was a place they could all hang out and collaborate together.
- For businesses: We kept the same overall theme but made it cleaner, more professional. It needed to be simple, to the point and credible.
Our goal: One major theme supporting the look/feel of their brand, but broken into three part with its own distinct variation of that look.